Job: Residential College Dean
Yale Posting Status CLOSED TO FURTHER APPLICATIONS
Original Posting Date 07-Oct-2013
STARS Requisition number 23175BR
Department Yale College
University Job Title Residential College Dean
Posting Position Title Residential College Dean - Timothy Dwight College
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Fixed
If Fixed Duration, Period 3 years from date of hire
Salary Grade MI
Work Location Central Campus
Worksite Address 345 Temple Street
Work Week Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Total # of hours to be worked: 37.5
Position Focus: An opportunity for a Residential College Dean in Timothy Dwight College who provides academic and personal counseling to undergraduates. Administers residential college functions including housing and extracurricular activities for Yale College. Serves on Yale College committees and teaches one or two courses per year. The Residential College Dean is appointed for a three year term which may be renewed given a favorable review at the end of the second year.
Principal Responsibilities 1. Provides academic and personal counseling to undergraduates in the residential college.
2. Advises and assists students in matters concerning their academic programs.
3. Applies and enforces the academic regulations of Yale College. Authorizes postponement of work.
4. Maintains close collaboration with the Registrar's Office and the Yale College Dean's Office. As needed, refers students to resources, offices, or persons that can be of assistance to them; serves in a continuing collaborating role with these sources of support and counseling.
5. As a supervisor of freshman advisers, works closely with the College Fellows and Faculty Advisers to advise the freshmen of the college.
6. Writes letters of recommendation for fellowship or postgraduate work or study; serves as custodian of students’ placement file in the college Dean's office.
7. Cooperates whenever necessary in the enforcement and application of the Undergraduate Regulations that govern the conduct of students.
8. Teaches one or two courses a year.
9. Cooperates in a wide variety of college activities with the residential college Master.
10. Serves in various capacities on Yale College committees.
11. Resides in the residential college.
12. May perform other duties assigned.
Required Education and Experience Master’s degree and qualified to teach in Yale College and experience in working with undergraduates, especially in a teaching or advising role or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Skilled in working with undergraduates, especially in a teaching or advising role.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Qualified to teach in Yale College.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Advanced degree (Ph.D.) or equivalent and be qualified to teach in Yale College.
Weekend Hours Required? Yes
Evening Hours Required? Yes
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University Jobs
This company does not have more jobs